Sunday, December 7, 2008

Chritmas Cookies

I love Christmas time, I love all the baking that goes on. When my children were younger we couldn't 't afford Christmas presents for all their teachers, and I wanted to do something special for them, since they were doing something special for me (taking care of my children). My children and I started the tradition of baking cookies for their teachers and their friends, and it has lasted through the years. I still do it, I even do it for my husband's and my work. It makes people feel so special when you out take the time, and go out of your way, to make these special cookies. It is funny but all the kids have their favorites, and the great thing is we always add one cookie in the recipe that we didn't make before, and see if we like it. This is a tradition that was handed down by my mother and grandmother. My grandmother used to make tons of cookies and she would even freeze some so we could have them at a later time. One of my favorite cookies was my mother's though, she would make these butter cookies and would make butter creme frosting to go on them, and they just melted in your mouth. I thought it would be great for all of you reading this blog to post your favorite recipe and we could have our own little cookie swap here on the blog. Maybe even start another fabulous tradition. Here is my favorite cookie, when I make them this year I will post a photo. This recipe comes from an old Family Circle magazine that I bought years ago (I still have it) dated December 2, 1986.

Great-Grandmother Floyd's Vanilla Horns

Bake 350 for 10 to 12 minutes

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2/3 cup unsifted confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup ground blanched almonds (food processor works great or even blender)
2 cups of unsifted all-purpose flour

Beat together butter, sugar, and vanilla in bowl until well mixed.
Beat almonds. Stir in flour until well blended. Shape into a ball. Wrap with waxed paper. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 325.
Roll ball between palms form a crescent moon shape about 3 inches long.
Cook for 10 to 12 minutes. When they are cool (really cool) roll around in powdered sugar dust them all over. Sometimes we melt semi sweet chocolate and drizzle over them too.

These cookies will just melt in your mouth, and they never last longer then one day in my house.

No comments: