Friday, January 16, 2009

Dream a Little Dream

Just me and my son
Garrett doing what he does best tormenting

My son Garrett, has told me I need to read this book, "The Pillars of the Earth". I am going to read it because he recommended it. I never thought the day would come when he would be recommending books for me. You see, Garrett never liked to read....at first. He reads all the time now, well he does the audiobook thing, but it is still reading in my book. I used to have to trick him and his brother Chris into reading. They loved comic books, so I would buy them comic tons of books. They would draw the characters, and talk about them to each other, and me. They never really understood, it was my way of getting them to love books, just a little bit at a time. Comic books have characters, and story lines, and plots (a lot of big boobies too, I guess). Reading has always been an important part of my life. When I was growing up I spent a lot of time at the library. In books, I found friends and enemies, I went to magical places, I could escape into another world. I read all kinds of books, fiction, mysteries, romance, tragedies, suspense, etc. I wanted all of my children to feel the same way as I did about books (I probably got it from my mom). At night before the kids went to bed, I didn't just read to them, I would make up my own stories, and they were nice enough to listen. I am glad that when the family gets together one of things we talk about is good books, which ones we are reading, and which ones suck. All of us still read, it is just another thing that binds us together, and maybe some day one of us will have one of our books published, just a little dream we all have. Dreams are okay, I encourage the dreamer in everyone. Do you have a dream? Why not find it, follow your heart for once, and dream a little dream, it can't hurt.

No comments: